Serena Williams is an American professional tennis player who is ranked as world No. 1 in singles up to eight times between 2002 and 2017. Her greatest legacy yet, in the tennis, is winning the second-most singles titles (23) in women’s Grand Slam tournaments of all time.
In 2017, Serena was the only woman on Forbes‘ list of the 100 highest paid athletes with $27 million in prize money and endorsements. Whatever training a professional athlete like Serena Williams is receiving to remain on top of her game will often boil down to eating great food to keep healthy. But not just any kind of food.
Serena William’s Diet and Food Allergies
To be the best at tennis and maintain good health, Serena hired a renowned sports performance manager Mackie Shilstone to be her personal trainer. Shilstone was able to create an effective diet and exercise plan that will help increase her flexibility, build muscle functionality and improve her endurance. During the tennis season, the top athlete tries as much as possible to sticks to a raw vegan diet; eating plenty of beans, nuts, sprouted quinoa and lentils. Her diet plan includes
- Oatmeal with fruits like tangerines, strawberry and almond butter toppings – which can be taken as breakfast.
- This is complemented with a late morning snack on toasted Ezekiel bread sandwich with almond butter;
- salad of lettuce, spinach, mandarin oranges, lime juice, onions, pita croutons, and sliced almonds for lunch;
- Grilled chicken, lemon juice, matcha green tea, and cinnamon are occasionally served as an afternoon snack;
- and brown rice with chia seeds and Hemp, plus fresh vegetable salad as dinner
Serena has often professed her love for Tacos on her IG page saying all tacos are the only thing she likes.
As for food allergies, Serena is not only allergic to peanut, she avoids fruits like avocados and tomatoes
While slamming balls on the tennis court might seem like all the exercise Serena William needs, she, like many successful athletes, actually dedicates hours in the gym. Her exercise routines gears towards important parts of her body such as the arms, booty, core and leg.
For the warm up, she begins with a 10 minutes cardio like Zumba to get the blood flowing.
Others workout include arm exercise: Rolling knee tucks, Fitness ball transfer, Plank Rows, Resistance band hip extensions; Butt Exercise: Barbell Front, Barbell Box and Barbell Pause Squat; Core and Leg Exercise: Leg crunch (both horizontal vertical) Pillar holds, Dumbbell step ups, Dumbbell walking lunges and Bicycle Crunch.
Quick Facts about Serena Williams
Birthdate: September 26, 1981, in Saginaw, Michigan, United States of America
Height: 5 ft 9 in (175 cm)
Parents: Oracene Price and Richard Williams
1. Serena is the youngest of five daughters of her parents including half-sisters Yetunde, Lyndrea, and Isha Price, and full older sister Venus. She also has three half-brothers and three half-sisters from her father’s first marriage.
2. She started playing tennis at 9 years old while attending tennis academy of Rick Macci but her father took over coaching Serena and her sister Venus at their home when she in ninth grade.
3. She is primarily known as a baseline player, using different strategies to gain the upper hand to win more points at every game.
4. She began her professional career in tennis in 1995 to present and has won the second-most singles titles (23) in women’s Grand Slam tournaments of all time.
5. She was pregnant when she won the Australian Open in January 2017. It was her 23rd Grand Slam.
6. She got married to husband Alexis Ohanian, Reddit co-founder, in New Orleans on November 2017, after giving birth to their daughter Olympia Ohanian.
The couple was among the special guests at the Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Megan Markel on May 19, 2018.
7. According to Celebrity Net Worth, Serena Williams is worth about $180 million and owns homes in Bel Air and Palm Beach Gardens, Paris, Beverly Hills. Her earnings range from salary/winnings worth$18 million; endorsements $19 million and personal investments.