One of the top American singer and songwriter, Mariah Carey graces front pages of magazines and newspapers from the early 90s till present. With a Guinness World Record as the Songbird Supreme, the pop diva remain a trending artist in the US entertainment industry.
From her professional career to personal life, everything about Mariah Carey seems to sparkles. She is currently making headlines for becoming $10 million richer after selling her diamond engagement ring from billionaire ex fiance, James Packer.
There’s certainly more to Carey than just the sound of her mesmerising voice, music and bright smiles.
Mariah Carey was born on March 27, 1969, or 1970, in Huntington, Long Island, New York to Alfred Roy Carey, a Venezuelan aeronautical engineer; and Patricia Carey, a voice coach and opera singer. She has two older siblings: a brother, Morgan, and a sister, Alison.
She was 3 years old when her parents got divorced, but while growing up with her singer mum, Carey picked up a legacy that would last her a lifetime. First, she imitated her mum’s operatic singing as early as age 2; received singing lessons from 4 years old and eventually developed a spectacular voice that spanned 5 octaves.
Facts about Mariah Carey
1. Shortly after graduating from Harborfields High School, Greenlawn in 1987, Carey took off to the big city of New York in pursuit of her very own American dream, but not on a buttery start. While in Manhattan, she combined working extra jobs – as a coat check girl and a waitress, with studying cosmetology, writing songs and actively pursuing a music career at night.
2. She landed her big break when at age 18 when she met Tommy Mottola, the president of Columbia Records (later Sony) at a party hosted by CBS Records, who intercepted the demo tape she wanted to give to Columbia’s Jerry Greenberg.
After listening to the tape on his way home from the party, Mottola quickly reached a deal with Carey and set her to work on her first album, Mariah Carey (1990) with her # 1 singles: Vision of Love, Love Takes Time, Some Day, and I Don’t Wanna Cry.
3. Carey and Mottola were married from 1993 to 1998. They had a spectacular ceremony at Manhattan’s St. Thomas Episcopal Church.
4. She has released more than 30 albums from 1990 till present with a continued interest in hip hop and R&N. Her tenth studio album The Emancipation of Mimi, became the best-selling album in the U.S. in 2005, followed by her eleventh studio album E=MC, with the sing Touch My Body, Carey replaced Elvis Presley to as the second only to the Beatles for the most No. 1 hit singles in the United States.
5. The Songbird Supreme has sold more than 200 million albums worldwide. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, Mariah Carey is the third best-selling female artist of all time.
6. She was selected as one of the Judges in the 2013 American Idol, play small roles in movies and lend her voice on the animated television series American Dad! on Fox. In 2015, she acted and directed A Christmas Melody, a holiday movie on the Hallmark Channel.
7. Her career success didn’t come with challenges. She recently opened up about her secret battle with bipolar II disorder, first diagnosed in 2001. Carey said it’s like living in “isolation and in constant fear someone would expose me.” With medication and therapy, the singer is living it up.
8. Carey joined the list of biracial couples when she married Nick Cannon and both have two kids (twins), son Moroccan and daughter Monroe Cannon. After six years of marriage, the couple separated in 2014 and finalized their divorce in 2016.
9. Carey got engaged to Australian billionaire businessman James Packer in New York City on January 2016. The relationship hit rock bottom and they split in October the same year.
10. She is currently in a discreet relationship with backup dancer Brian Tanaka, who is featured in her reality show Mariah’s World.
11. Among the odd things about the singer is the uncertainty in her age or date of birth. Not even Wikipedia could verify Carey’s real age, so fans are left with the choice of choosing between 1969 or 1970.
12. What most people usually don’t know about Carey’s identity is that she’s biracial – her mother is Irish and her father is Black/Afro-Venezuelan.
13. In the era of information, it is normal to see some celebrities involving siblings into their fabulous lifestyle, but not Mariah. It was reported in 2016 that the famous diva has an estranged relationship with her only two older siblings who obviously didn’t attain the same height of success as their little sister.
Carey’s sister Alison is HIV-positive, acquired through years of sex work, plus involvement with drug abuse. Her brother Morgan who is the eldest described Carey as ‘evil witch’ and ‘self-obsessed’ who wouldn’t help their dying sister.
In all those media /public rants, Mariah Carey did defend herself and kept mums.
Philanthropist: Carey is one of the founders of Camp Mariah, an initiative of The Fresh Air Fund, which is a nonprofit agency that provides free summer vacations to disadvantaged children in New York City.
Net Worth: Carey is an extremely accomplished singer/performer, songwriter, record producer and actress, regarded as the best selling music artist of all time. Selling up to 200 million records has the singer always smiling all the way to the bank. Her net worth is $535 Million as of 2018.
Mariah Carey Weight Loss Diet
In anticipation of her wedding with Packer, Mariah started a weight loss diet to transform her body. According to a close friend of hers who spoke to Daily Mail, Carey has put herself on a strict protein diet because she desperately wants to lose at least 20 pounds.
According to the insider, the singer was dieting on lean beef, broiled Chilean Sea Bass or grilled shrimp with grilled asparagus and4 ounces of chicken.’
For one who never gets up before 11 am, Carey skips breakfast and only live on protein shake or fruit smoothies at noon. She also stuck to an all-purple diet after she gave birth to her babies in 2013.
All-purple diet is known to be rich in antioxidants and anti-aging benefits. Foof/fruits categorised as purple diet include,
- Purple onions
- Red apples
- Red wine
- Red grapes