Bread is a staple food around the globe prepared with three major ingredients: flour, yeast and water that are properly kneaded to form a dough and then baked. Other ingredients include sugar, milk and butter which are normally used to enrich the taste of the bread.
The bread roll is one of the types of bread that is common and usually served as a meal accompaniment, though it might require few hours to make, every step for preparation as instructed below will be worth your time. When baked, the bread rolls taste as good or even better than some other commercial types and can be eaten whole or cut transversely and dressed with filling like butter, avocado, omelette or sandwiched in barbecue. It is also soft and tender hence it is also called milk bread, dinner rolls, small bread or soft buns.
Ingredients for Bread Rolls
The ingredients listed below are subject to modifications.
• 500g Wheat Flour
• 2 tablespoon Yeast
• 2 Eggs
• 3 tablespoon Sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon Salt
• 80g of melted butter
• 235ml liquid whole milk
Recipe and method of Preparation
1. In a clean mixing bowl, measure out the liquid milk
2. Measure out the sugar, salt, eggs, melted butter and mix them with the milk
3. Add flour and the yeast together and stir into the liquid mixture with a spatula to form a dough.
4. Transfer the dough on to a hard, clean and smooth surface and knead for 15 minutes
5. Return the dough in the bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm place to proof (double in size) for about 45 minutes or more.
6. After the dough doubles in size, deflate it to remove the trapped air, then return on a hard surface, roll and cut it smaller equal pieces.
7. Coat the baking pan with butter, shape the dough pieces into balls and place them few inches away from the other in the baking pan.
8. Set the content of the tray aside, preferably, in a warm corner to proof for 30 minutes.
9. Glaze the surface of the dough with whisked egg to give it a
10. Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 15-20 minutes
Tip: Use instant yeast to hasten the proofing process of the dough. You can check how active the yeast is by adding it to a warm milk with sugar and cover for 5-10 minutes, if it does not bubble, then the yeast is not active. Also, some flour contains an adequate amount of enzyme which is best for bread making.
Besides the recipe listed above, you can get more creative to get the other types which differs both in shape and texture. The slight differences also come in flavours and ingredients such as the strawberry dinner roll, Multigrain dinner rolls, the Italian Herb Oatmeal Pan Bread, Panfocaccia or the Portuguese sweet bread.